Friday, August 30, 2013

Galumpki



My grandma used to make galumpki when I was a kid.  I have been searching for a recipe that tastes like hers, well as least as best as I can remember.  I have tried a couple recipes and the first one I tried was just not it!  The second one much better, but I made some changes with a few nontraditional tweaks.

Filling
1 cup cooked rice
1 pounds uncooked ground beef
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/3-1/2 cup milk
MIX TOGETHER

Sauce
1 can crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tsp shiracha-or to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Cabbage
Dischard tough outer leaves and trim bottom
submerge whole head of cabbage in boiling water and peel off leaves as they cook, become soft  and pull off easily
With a sharp knife trim the the center rib even with leaf, so it is not so thick

Assembly
The amount of filling you put on each leaf with vary with the size of the leaf.  Put filling at large stem end of leaf and roll up like a burrito, tucking in edges.
Put seam side down in a baking pan.
Mix together sauce ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls.
Dot with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover with foil

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40-45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment